Sunday, March 16, 2014

Blog Post #2

Blog Post #2 

This week I learned about MIDI technology, studied the creative process in relation to improvisation and worked with two different music notation programs.  In addition, I interacted with my Personal Learning Network (PLN).

MIDI

Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) is a set of digital instructions which tell a MIDI instrument when and what to play.  The MIDI file is not an actual music file, but just directions for an MIDI compatible instrument.  The instructions can tell the instrument which note, sound, volume and other effects to perform.  The files are small and thus can be transferred easily to other musicians.  In addition, since the file is only instructions, the file can be easily altered to correct rhythm (quantizing), correct pitches or change the sounds produced.  Today, most MIDI files are General MIDI, which means the instructions can be used to control different brands of instruments and different computer programs to produce similar sounds. 

An understanding of the basic mechanics of MIDI instruments and files can help a music educator work with students in a composition setting.  The MIDI instruments can be connected to a computer running a notation program.  The MIDI instrument could be used as an input device.  Also, the notation program can produce or create a MIDI file for transfer to other instruments for playback and editing. 

I have used my understanding of MIDI to set-up our music computer lab and to troubleshoot problems with our input and notation hardware and software.  The students in our Music Theory I and AP Music Theory classes use the computer lab and the Finale notation software to complete part writing assignments.  The use of MIDI keyboards is an important part of these classes.  Though the students do not have to understand how this technology works, they do have to have working technology.  Thus, we as teachers must understand how to set-up and fix these devices.  We have used both USB inputs and MIDI to USB converter boxes for use in our lab.  Depending on the devices used, we have to be able to troubleshoot for our students. I have also used my understanding of MIDI to connect keyboard synthesizers to sound modules for use in our musicals.  An understanding of MIDI is necessary for proper connection and use. 

The Creative Process and Improvisation

Teaching students to be creative thinkers and creative musicians is an important part of music education.  Though many people believe creativity is a mysterious concept and only a few people are capable of creativity, researchers have described many different types of creativity and outlined the steps of the creative process.  This research can provide a guideline for educators to follow while guiding our students through their own creative processes and help them recognize that creativity is a process which can be practiced and utilized by all. 

The four stages of The Creative Process according to Graham Wallas are:
1.      Preparation
2.      Incubation
3.      Illumination
4.      Verification

In relation to improvisation, these four stages can be outlined for the students by the music teacher.  Stage one, Preparation, involves acquiring the technique and theoretical knowledge necessary to understand the process of improvising.  This could include the understanding of chord structure, musical style, posture, and fingerings, in addition to many other aspects.  Stage Two, Incubation, involves stepping away from the problem (improvisation) and allowing the knowledge from stage one to become internalized and connect to the problem.  Stage Three, Illumination, involves the sudden solution to the problem.  In this situation, illumination would be the trial and error process of improvisation when the technique learned in stage one and the internalization from stage two come together to allow for an improvised musical idea.  Stage Four, Verification, is a performance for an audience.  The audience can give feedback and this feedback can be used to improve the performance. 

After 12 years of working with a high school jazz band and years of playing in college and high school, I am just starting to feel comfortable with how I am helping my students learn to improvise.  I think the most important thing we’ve developed is a culture of experimentation and acceptance.  The students are willing to try things and make mistakes.  We also try to reflect upon each solo.  What do we like?  What could the soloist do differently? For each jazz tune we work on, I have every student write a solo that follows the changes.  During rehearsal, each student will play their solo.  I remind them that even if they don’t know how to notate what they want to play, to write something that will help them remember what they want to do.  This has seemed to work well.  The solos tend to follow the chord progression, which is much more mature sounding than using a blues scale over everything.  In addition, the students hear each other play and borrow licks and rhythms from each other.  We also talk about building a solo with a clear beginning middle and end. 

In my concert bands I attempt to incorporate improvisation into our daily rehearsals.  During class warm-up and fundamental time, I ask the ensemble to perform a Major Scale (whichever key center is the focus for the week) for 8 beats per scale degree.  One section improvises using the root, 3rd and 5th of that scale degree.  This exercise is free improvisation in a small group setting using a changing diatonic chord structure. 
I also have created a few pentatonic accompaniment “licks” for my ensemble members.  Small groups of students work together to play these pre-composed accompaniments while other students improvise pentatonic solo lines over the top.

Notation Software

This week I worked with two different free notation software programs, Noteflight and Muscore.  Each of my middle school students has a subscription to Noteflight and we use this program for most of our class composition activities.  Unfortunately, since I have used Finale for the last 17 years, I did not take the time to learn this new software program with my students since I thought it was an inferior, student level product.  The tutorial I completed this week, displayed at the end of this blog post, helped me understanding the basics of this software notation system.  Friday morning, during our middle school “Composition Club” I was able to help these students troubleshoot their compositions much more effectively than I was able to previously.  Though I am more familiar with Finale, and still enjoy using it more, I appreciate the sharing capability of Notability.  I like that students can share their compositions with each other and can share the compositions seamlessly with the instructor.  Students no longer have to e-mail me .mus or .xml files which may or may not work on my computer.  Now, I can just open their files from my browser and make comments. 

MuseScore was another notation program I used this week.  The tutorial videos were very well done and helpful.  They walked me through the process of creating two musical examples.  One features I liked about MuseScore was the ability to “drag and drop” musical items into the score.  We used this feature when adding a repeat sign and an ending.  These are two of the more complicated simple Finale functions.  I like this “drag and drop” feature and hope Finale incorporates it into their program.  I also liked the simplicity of creating a decent sounding drum-set example.  Very simple and the drum sounds were nice.
One thing I liked about both programs was their ability to support .xml files.  Thus, I could create a file in Finale and open it in MuseScore or Noteflight.  In addition, files created in these free programs could be opened and edited in Finale.

Personal Learning Network

This week I used my Personal Learning Network (PLN) to connect with other music educators.  I found more organizations and music educators to follow on Twitter.  I learned about MT (modified tweets) and RT (retweets).  Though not music or education related, I also engaged in my first Twitter conversation.
I am enjoying reading articles through the Feedly service.  I am still thrilled I can get so much information sent directly to me instead of spending time searching for it.  As I said last week, I have used RSS services in the past, but never for specific information.  I was only using it for general news sites and college hockey stats and stories.  Using the subscription service for music education and music technology information has been useful.


I don’t feel as connected to Google+ as I do to Twitter or Feedly.  I will explore this site more in the next week and attempt to make a greater connection.  

Noteflight Example


No comments:

Post a Comment