Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Post #7

This week I learned different ways technology can help teachers design assessments to best meet the needs of students.  I also created a Google Form quiz, graded that quiz using Flubaroo, created a presentation, a Google Calendar and a newsletter using Google Docs.

In the reading for this week, Bauer presents Robert Marzano’s four major purposes of classroom assessment.  These four purposes can help guide a music instructor to create assessment that aligns with learning outcomes, give productive and formative feedback to the student, and allow for frequent monitoring.

Technology can help a music teacher provide more frequent and more authentic assessment of musical outcomes.  For example, I use recording technology to assess my students performing selected etudes for their instrument.  The recordings are submitted to our LMS, Schoology.  Schoology allows me to create online rubrics which I can complete and send back to students electronically.  Since it relatively easy to collect and assess these performance exams, I have the opportunity to assign these assessments on a more frequent basis.  Also, since the students are recording more often and receiving more specific feedback, hopefully they can use this feedback to improve their performance at a more steady pace.

I also use our LMS to create online quizzes for the students.  These quizzes, if they do not involve essays, can be automatically graded and the results can be available to the students immediately after completion.  I also use Google Forms to create quizzes and other writing assessments for the students.  This tool can help me organize student writing into one location instead of having a stack of papers I might lose.

Google Forms


Here is my Google Form Quiz:




Google Presentation


Here is my Google Presentation:



Google Calendar


Here is my Google Calendar:



Google Newsletter


Here is my Google Newsletter:

No comments:

Post a Comment